Saturday 15 June 2013

I`m no Suarez replacement, insists Liverpool new-boy Aspas


I`m no Suarez replacement, insists Liverpool new-boy Aspas
London: The Spaniard has been compared to the troubled Uruguayan in terms of his talent and temperament, but insists he will be his own man at Anfield.

Liverpool new-boy Iago Aspas insists he has not been signed to replace Luis Suarez.

The 25-year-old Spaniard`s €8 million move to Anfield was confirmed this week, just as the controversial Uruguayan prepares for the Confederations Cup with his club future under a cloud.

But Aspas, a skilful attacker with a fiery temper - highlighted in the four-match ban he received for headbutting Carlos Marchena last season - has rejected any form of comparison with Suarez.

“Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world and I am going there to take an important step in my career, not to be a replacement for anyone,” he said.

“I think it is time for me to take the next step in my career and Liverpool can help me do that. I have confidence in my ability to move forward and to grow as a player.

“I described the move as emotional for me because it is such a big club and it means I’ve reached another level. But I am calm because I feel I am ready.

“I want to show that I am capable of playing at the level of this huge club.”

Aspas also revealed he fully expects to be partnering Suarez up front for Liverpool next season, rather than watching him turn out for Real Madrid.

“I am excited to be going to England – I want to play in the Premier League,” he added.

“And I hope I will be helped to settle there by all the Spanish speakers at the club... including Luis Suarez.”

No comments:

Post a Comment