Friday 21 June 2013

Carl Froch would fight George Groves while he waits for Andre Ward



Carl Froch has confirmed he would consider fighting George Groves while he waits for a rematch with Andre Ward.
Having gained revenge for defeat to Mikkel Kessler at the O2 Arena last month, IBF and WBA super-middleweight champion Froch has now set his sights on Ward, the only other fighter to beat him.
That could be up to a year away though and Froch admitted he wold not rule out a bout with Groves in the meantime, if he is named as the mandatory opponent.
"Every man and his dog is calling me out. Even that Welsh kid (Nathan Cleverly), who is insignificant because he's not even in my weight division."
Carl Froch
"The best win for me now and the only win that would be totally satisfying for me would be to rematch Andre Ward," said Froch.
"But I don't think that is in our immediate plans, that will be two or three fights down the road.
"I've got mandatory obligations with the IBF and I'm now WBA champion. So I'm just going to see what pans out and what opens up.
"Every man and his dog is calling me out. Even that Welsh kid (Nathan Cleverly), who is insignificant because he's not even in my weight division.
"He's making plenty of noise recently and it's just ridiculous. A lot of these guys are just embarrassing themselves because they're saying stupid things.
"But I'll let them carry on, I'll sit back and bask in the ambience, keep smiling and taking the accolades and the pats on the back. I'm just enjoying it all.
"I don't know how easy it is to make the Groves fight. Of course it's winnable, as is every fight.
"It's definitely a fight I want. I've said before I'm not just going to give him a shot, but if he becomes mandatory - which I think he might do by default because of guys above him being injured or moving in weight - then yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment