Thursday 4 July 2013

Renjith Maheswary wants to shake off 'passenger' tag


Renjith Maheswary wants to shake off \'passenger\' tag 

 Pune: Triple jumper Renjith Maheswary feels uneasy at being referred to as 'passenger' at big events and says he is determined to shake off the dubious tag in the ongoing Asian Championships and next month's World Championships in Moscow.
Maheswary, who holds the national record of 17.07m when he won a bronze in the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, told PTI that he would prove his critics wrong in the next few months as he feels he is in top form.
He could not have a single legitimate jump in all his three attempts in the 2011 World Championships in Daegu, Japan and 2012 London Olympics, leading to officials making oblique references to him as 'passenger' in the Indian contingent.

Maheswary holds the national record of 17.07m when he won a bronze in the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Maheswary has qualified for the Moscow World Championships after clearing 16.98m - his season's best - in the National Inter-State Championships in Chennai last month.
"I want to make amends of my mistakes though they were not intentional. Which athlete wants to have all foul jumps in such big events? Rather every athlete wants to give their best at the biggest stages," Maheswary said.
"I have not thought much about what people say about me but sometimes it's a bit uneasy. I don't have any grudge against anybody but I think I can prove my critics wrong. I am particularly looking ahead to the World Championships next month to make amends for the London Olympics and Daegu World Championships disappointment," he said from Patiala where he is currently training.
Maheswary, who will be reaching here on Friday, said he is in his top form after struggling last year with injuries and looking forward to winning gold in men's triple jump.
"I know it's not going to be easy. There is the veteran Roman Valiyev of Kazakhstan, but I feel I am in top form without any injury. I was struggling last year due to injury issues but now I am raring to go," said Maheswary who won a gold in the 2007 Asian Championships in Amman, Jordan.
"I am looking to clear 17m, so that I go to the World Championships with my confidence high. I felt very good during the National Inter-State in Chennai last month and I think can continue the momentum," said Maheswary.
Valiyev, who won a gold in the 2009 edition in Guangzhou and bagged a bronze in the last edition in 2011 in Kobe, has a personal best of 17.20m, while his season's best is 17.10m.
Maheswary has a personal best national record of 17.07m and a season's best of 16.98m.
Maheswary also spoke highly of his training partner young Arpinder Singh who has a season's best of 16.84m.
"Arpinder is a talented jumper. He is doing consistently above 16.5 in practice and I feel he will also win a medal in Asian Championships," said Maheswary.
Maheswary's event is slated for Saturday (qualifying) and Sunday (finals).
Athletics Federation of India, which had asked Maheswary to furnish proof of fitness just before the London Olympics and expressed unhappiness at his dismal show in the Games, indicated that Maheswary will take part in the Moscow World Championships despite his season's best of 16.98m just crosses 'B' qualifying standard of 16.85m.
"While picking Indian athletes for London Olympics we wanted to check if everybody was fit. In cases of some athletes there was a long gap between the date of qualification and the actual competition, so we wanted to check whether they were fit or not.
"Here in this case, the Asian Championships is being held just a month before the World Championships, so there is no issue," AFI Secretary C K Valson said.
"Our athletes who have already qualified and those who will qualify by winning their respective events in the Asian Championships or otherwise will take part in the World Championships," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment