Sunday, 16 June 2013

I was depressed and in pain, says Rio Ferdinand




New Delhi: Manchester United's veteran defender, Rio Ferdinand has finally come clean on the reason behind his decision to quit the England national squad. 
Ferdinand revealed that he never wished to leave England but had to turn his back on the national side due to his injuries and depression.
"It is only now I can talk about what I was really going through.
"I was trying to put a brave face on it but of course I was worried about the future. Two or three years ago people were saying I was finished and I remember those dark days. I was in a depressive state. I will admit that.
"I couldn't even go in the garden and have a little kickabout with the kids. It was embarrassing. I couldn't pick them up and put them on my shoulders because of the pain," Ferdinand was quoted by The Sun
Ferdinand who has recently signed a new contract was given a special rehab by the ManU medical staff and played a major part in their 20th League Title win.
Ferdinand has played 430 matches for the Red Devils and has earned 81 international caps for England. He retired in May 2013 saying, "it's the right time to make room for young players and focus on the club career"

No comments:

Post a Comment